With over 20 million viewers, the Golden Globes has become big business for the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.
The Golden Globes Viewership Influence
- 13% of all all television-equipped households watched the 2015 Golden Globes. Statista
- Nielsen estimates that NBC averaged a 5.5 rating in adults 18-49 and 18.5 million viewers overall of the 73rd 2015 Annual Golden Globe Awards.
- The 2015 Golden Globes generated 42 million dollars in advertising revenue. Statista
- The average cost of a 30-second commercial during the Golden Globes was $577,000. – Statista
Golden Globes Box Office Influence
While an Oscar may be THE coveted award, according to Edmund Helmer writing for Reuters, “A Golden Globe win is worth $14.2 million, on average (plus or minus $7.49 million), compared with $3 million (plus or minus $1.5 million) for an Oscar.” A contributing factor explained by Edmund Helmer is “63% of Golden Globes winners also win an Oscar.”
Golden Globes Social Influence
While few programs come close to the Super Bowl viewership, social engagement is a major factor in determining event reach. According to Union Metrics, the “704k contributors posted 2.4M tweets about the Golden Globes for a unique potential reach of 361M.”
Some of the top ReTweets from 2015 according to Union Metrics:
Ummm just cried. Congratulations to @HereIsGina for your Golden Globe… Way to represent ALL Latinos!!! — Demi Lovato (@ddlovato) January 12, 2015
Cumberbatch photo bomb! #EWGlobes #GoldenGlobes pic.twitter.com/9Do7OVfbH2 — Entertainment Weekly (@EW) January 12, 2015
I loved this acceptance speech @common #GoldenGlobes pic.twitter.com/DCmfixGP3V — Oprah Winfrey (@Oprah) January 12, 2015
The top hashtags used during the 2015 Golden Globes according to ritetag.com
Golden Globes Digital Strategies
An interview with Lorenzo Soria and Brand Channel explains the implementation of a targeted digital strategy for The 2014 Golden Globes.
Lorenzo states, “Digital content offers the opportunity to engage a wider audience and to make a stronger impact with advertising dollars. It also enables us to engage with our viewers in real-time,” Lorenzo Soria, vice president of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association. – brandchannel
Bluefin provided some insight into the content strategy:
Bluefin decided to use HFPA’s 85 journalists to create original, premium content for the site, as well as producing a slew of videos that skew to a younger crowd, like one on Taylor Swift which garnered 65,000 shares on Facebook, whereas previously, total prior shares were less than 1,000. – brandchannel
Soria explains the focused website strategy to engage a younger demographic:
“Our goal was to transform our site into the go-to source for up-to-the-minute entertainment news, fashion content and videos, and to engage our audience not only leading up to the show, but year-round,” Soria said. “We’re adapting to the changing media landscape by embracing digital… It’s also a way for us to adapt to an audience that may not watch network television, but often monitors news via other devices. This year, we’re creating excitement around the Golden Globes through new mediums.” – brandchannel
Golden Globe Highlights
- In 1958, the #RatPack stormed the #GoldenGlobes stage setting a new trend for celebrities to hand out trophies.
- During the Writers Guild of America strike, no actors attended the awards show in 2008. #GoldenGlobes
- The #GoldenGlobes is one of the few award shows with no seat fillers.
- There are only 111 tables at the Hilton’s International Ballroom for the #GoldenGlobes.
- The #GoldenGlobes Trophy weighs 5.5 pounds.
- During the #GoldenGlobes, there will be 25 awards handed out: 14 #film, 11 #television.
- The #GoldenGlobes have been held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel since 1961.
- Jamie Foxx was the first person ever to be nominated for 3 #GoldenGlobes in a single year.
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is the only film to win #GoldenGlobes in 5 major categories.
- The Godfather, Part III received 7 nominations, but lost in every category and went home empty-handed. #GoldenGlobes
- Meryl Streep wins the award for the most #GoldenGlobe nominations by any single actor w/ 27 nominations.
- Marlon Brando refused his Best #Actor #GoldenGlobe for The Godfather in 1973 to protest “imperialism and racism.”